Nicholas Karpuk's Reviews > Snuff

Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Feb 07, 2012

Read from January 12 to February 07, 2012

Sometimes I wonder if, given enough time, Pratchett would have chronicled Vimes' adventure right up until the point of his death. The guards books have the strongest continuity and the most narrative focus of any of the Discworld novels, so it wouldn't surprise me. Beyond anything else, the draw comes from characters who don't quite match the traditional fantasy archetype. Vimes remains the rightful center of these books because he's essentially a irritable man too straightforward to tolerate any fantastical nonsense. In a world where most fantasy stories involve a wide-eyed innocent who must go on the Hero's Journey, it's nice to see someone who considers that crap and just wants to do his job right.

But this book dovetailed a little too closely with my viewing of the movie Living With Alzheimer's. It made me far too aware of how much his assistant probably aids him in the writing of his more recent books. There's a looseness in the narrative, a shortening of chapter lengths, a general floating in the way it moves from idea to idea. I know he's had issues for years now, but this is the first book where I felt like it had become noticeable.

I don't know how many more of these books Pratchett has in him, but he's managed to put out more great books in the last year than some authors put out in their entire career.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snuff.