Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > What Happened to Hannah

Feb 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, fiction
Read from February 07 to 08, 2012

Overall, I liked this book. Hannah ran away from home as a teenager to get away from the horrible events of her past. As an adult, she's called back to her small Virginian town to become the guardian of her niece, the last living member of her family and one she has never met.

I really did not like Hannah in the beginning. She grudgingly travels from Baltimore to southern Virginia to meet her niece, Anna, who she automatically seems to not like because of her connection to Hannah's sister and mother, none of which is Anna's fault at all. I didn't like how sort of cold Hannah was in the beginning. Hannah eventually thaws a little bit and becomes a lot more likable and human. The transformation does seem to sort of happen overnight though, which seemed really quick to me.

The story itself was really interesting. It was interesting to see how Hannah feels when she comes back to a place where so many bad things happened. I would have liked to know more about Ruth, Anna's mother and Hannah's sister, and why Hannah didn't seem to feel any bound to her little sister. I also thought that some of the scenes were sort of rushed through and came to too neat of an ending that kind of pulled you out of the story wondering why things ended in that neat way.

Overall, this is still a good read about the different definitions of family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Hannah.