Linda Boyd's Reviews > East of the Mountains

East of the Mountains by David Guterson

Feb 07, 12

I was hesitant to start this book since it is about a man facing his mortality but I am oh so glad that I did. This book is beautifully written about a man facing death but also realizing what life is about. He is not an extraordinary man yet he is in the aspect that every person is and each person has their own unique experiences to make them so. I loved this book so much, it made me feel good about life and also helped me realize somehow that facing death doesn't have to be so terrible, and being a person with parents in their late 70's it is something I think of often. If anything it made me want to learn everything about my parents past and appreciate the part of their life they have given me through the years. The book goes from past to present and revisits his relationship with his deceased wife and how they met as well as his experiences in WWII which includes some lifelong regret. This book did it all for me, I wish all books were like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of the Mountains.