Sen's Reviews > The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

Feb 13, 12

Read in February, 2012

Okay, I'll compare it to a piece of dark chocolate...
Would it be one that you spit out instantly due to its taste?
or Would you be fascinated with its bitterness and the little hint of sweetness? (sweetness as in the enjoyment it gave you)

How would it work on your taste-buds?

I rated it 3 stars, meaning "I liked it" (obvious?)

To me, this piece has started out plain, but gets bitter gradually. Perhaps, too gradually. In the end, I wouldn't claim it as mind-blowing. My taste-buds have already adapted to the gradual bitterness. The taste, however, will still linger through your buds a bit afterwards.

Let's get to the point, shall we? What exactly am I implying?...
Basically at the end of the book, I shut the book and took a while to gather up my opinions on it. I could have even shrugged.

-The plot was too predictable, at least for me.
-The tragedy at the end was not unexpected.
-The whole truth behind the mystery that the protagonist (Arthur Kipps) was trying to solve wasn't a surprise to me at all.

Why? The author has been gradually giving evidences of what could have happened. And when we have evidences, it is not a difficulty for us to make the predictions of everything...of the whole plot.

As the blurb said: "Arthur Kipps is an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford, a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway, to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client, Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images--a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed in black."

Now as the readers, our job is to find out what the tragic secrets are. All the mysterious sounds and images play an important role, especially the ghostly woman dressed in black.

The secrets are so deadly that everyone in Crythin Gifford refused to say anything about it (along with Arthur, I was quite frustrated at this fact). And (2) such secrets were able to haunt Arthur for the rest of his life, as shown in chapter 1. (3) The aftermath of the "secrets" had cursed the town for 50 years, with it never stopping.

Chapter 1, I admit, has caused me much trouble in getting my mind focused. Chapter 2 is really where the tale starts... so, do not abandon it by just judging Chapter 1. Try Chapter 2, then decide whether or not you want to dispose it. Did I mention that the author is really descriptive? Bear with it if you are the type that hate deep description. I personally find it enchanting.

**WARNING: THERE ARE NO BLOOD & GORE-Not the typical "horror" most people have in mind.

It's basic story-telling that sends me shivering a bit, literally, if you have a vivid imagination. As the THE DAILY TELEGRAPH said, it is definitely a "spine-chiller", at least for a reader like me.

Do not be afraid to pick up this piece and take a bite at it.

Hmm...I shall go buy a ticket to watch the recently-out movie now :)
(( I do wonder: in the trailer, there are three girls jumping off the window and dying...yet in the book, you will find none of it at all... hmm...))

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in Black.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Nicely-written ;D You did justice to books, unlike me, the violent reviewer. rofl.

message 2: by Sen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sen Donna wrote: "Nicely-written ;D You did justice to books, unlike me, the violent reviewer. rofl."

↬aw, why, thank you! I am, like every review, stating my own opinion :]]
↸Best regards,
↬Sanna

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice unique way of writing it ;D