Shelleyrae at Book'd Out's Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Amanda Stevens

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-reviews, arc-are
Read on March 29, 2012 — I own a copy

After being so wonderfully caught up in the atmospheric and entertaining second book of the Graveyard Queen series, The Kingdom, I ignored my schedule and plunged straight into The Prophet. Picking up just a short time after Amelia returns to Charleston after receiving a text from Detective Devlin proclaiming his need for her, The Prophet sees Amelia struggling to find her feet. Her experiences at Asher Falls have raised more questions than answers and Amelia feels lost and vulnerable.

Unfortunately, The Prophet failed to be as mesmerising as The Kingdom as Amelia succumbed to constant self doubt and self pity. I lost count of how many times Amelia repeated she was breaking her father's rules, but it was far too many. She was also either frozen or paralysed with fear whenever something began to happen or alternatively, helpless because of the effects of the voodoo drug wielded by the mysterious Darius. Amelia's lack of drive and action irritated me, she just seemed so deliberately passive instead of actively seeking answers.
I wanted her investigation into Robert Freeman's death to be an active one but mostly she seemed to waft around waiting for something to happen. Partly I think because she spent a lot of time agonising over Devlin, but their complicated relationship wasn't enough to sustain me.
The sense of atmosphere in The Prophet was not as strong as in The Kingdom but it does remain a feature of this series, the hair stood up on the back of my neck as messages appeared in steam and the swing moved back and forth in the stillness of moonlight. Stevens truly has a way with words, her writing is evocative and enchanting.

I am glad that the Graveyard Queen series has been extended, originally it was a trilogy, but there will be at least a fourth with a possibility of a fifth book from what I understand. Hopefully I will find the next installment as engrossing as The Kingdom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.