Yulia's Reviews > No Second Chance

Jul 16, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: criminal-intent
Read in July, 2008

I know some may think Harlan Coben beneath them, but let me explain why I find myself enjoying his books: First, I'm tired as heck of books where nothing happens but blushes hidden and a cough of disapproval. Second, I always had a fondness for books on killers (not to understand myself, but the opposite, I assure you). Third, I agree with most of Coben's values, like this snippet from No Second Chance:

"Edgar belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into believing that they somehow earned their status through hard work. We all live with self-justification, of course, and if you have never fended for yourself, if you live in luxury and have done nothing to deserve it, well, that is going to compound your insecurities, I guess. But it shouldn't make you a prig, to boot. (p. 29)"

I've lived my entire life trying to meet unrealistic standards: let me have my light reading. It could be worse: I could listen to smooth jazz.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Second Chance.

03/17/2016 marked as: read

Karen I love that quote" "myself.

message 2: by Winston (new)

Winston Kudos! I completely agree- I don't understand the haters?! He writes extremely entertaining books that have principled characters- what's to hate about that?