Kirsty's Reviews > Next

Next by Michael Crichton

Aug 05, 08

bookshelves: science-fiction, mystery-thriller
Read in August, 2008

This was a strange book and I have to say it had me pretty freaked out. It was terrifying - not in the 'horror' way, but because this could actually happen (and I'm sure IS happening behind closed doors).

It took me a while to get into the book, as I haven't really read Science Fiction before, and so I wasn't used to the format. Also there is a fair amount of medical jargon, which is difficult to digest at first, but becomes easier the more you read. Once I'd gotten into the book though, I found it to be a real page turner.

There were so many characters in the story, that they weren't really explored in much depth. Normally that would be a bad thing, but it worked in this book. I did like the the character of Lynn Kendall, I liked how compassionate she was towards Dave - the transgenic chimp. I also liked the character of Gerard the Parrot - very entertaining.

As I mentioned - the book is (very) scarily reflective of the way our society seems to be going in the field of medical advances. This shows how things can go when this kind of information ends up in the wrong hands and people start playing God. Greed takes over and sometimes people don't stop to think about the consequences.

Crichton has clearly spent time researching this book, and it shows. My only criticism would be that because of the multiple stories, the book tended to be a bit disjointed, and whilst he tried to tie them together at the end, it didn't quite work. Even so, it was a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Next.