Cindy's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Aug 28, 15

bookshelves: 2015, contemporary
Read from August 26 to 28, 2015

3.5 stars: 3 star book with a 4 star ending. I really did like a lot of things about it - the quietness of the prose, the characterizations of her family and friends, etc. But there were enough things that I didn't like that I couldn't make myself get past them most of the time - the really casual attitude about sex (since when is "we're awkward around each other because we just started dating, so let's have sex to get over it" a healthy relationship?), the swearing, the bizarre characterization of Oregon in general and the Portland area in particular. That last one sounds dumb, but the whole time I was reading it I kept doing double-takes and trying to figure out where on earth the book could be supposed to take place, since having lived many other places and then moving to Portland, I know exactly nobody who thinks of Portland as populated by "country girls" and lumberjacks. (Except for hipsters who WANT to be lumberjacks.) Very odd and distracting to me.

That said, the ending was fantastic, and overall I didn't NOT enjoy the book - just one I wouldn't read again, and would only recommend with reservations because of the questionable content.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

08/26 marked as: currently-reading
08/26 "Where the crap is this supposed to take place? Apparently somewhere near enough for them to be going into Portland regularly, but remote enough that it's all hunting accidents and lumberjacks??? I realize I'm not THAT familiar with all the ins and outs of the Portland metro area yet, but it definitely doesn't jive with the experience I've had up here..."
08/28 marked as: read