Melissa's Reviews > Truth

Truth by Julia Karr

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books
Read in January, 2012

My take: Well, first and foremost – it took my going back to my review of the first book to refresh myself on what exactly happened. I knew from the time I’d finished the first I wanted to read the second, so when the opportunity came about, I jumped on it!

The continuation of the story was not hard to follow at all, and getting to see Nina grow more throughout this book was fantastic. From turning 16, or SEXteen, to being the rebellious one who didn’t want to follow what the Governing Council believes, I saw things in Nina that weren’t as apparent in the first book. I think one of the biggest influences in change in her were all those underlying characters that pushed her to the truth – like her grandparents, her friends, and even her sister.

Not to mention the fact that the Resistance was working harder in this book then the first (or at least I could see more of it), but there were also new characters in this – one being a girl that no one, characters in the book – myself, could tell if she was trustworthy! Nina has to face not only this new girl, but her semi-boyfriend Sal leaving at every turn. She was one who thought “I’ll never fall in love, I don’t need a boyfriend” and yet there she is in this book wondering about her boyfriend all the time because he’s not present.

Things happen to her grandparents in this book, and after having lost her mother in the first book, it made me wonder if she’d try to make herself grow up faster or not. All in all though, she handled it well, but wasn’t over the top about it…well at least the majority of the time.

I don’t really know what to say further about this book without delving into details, so let’s just say…you all need to take a shot at it. My best piece of advice too when starting this series – get over the SEXteen part of it really quick!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth.