Kathleen L. Maher's Reviews > Heart's Safe Passage

Heart's Safe Passage by Laurie Alice Eakes

Feb 20, 2012

Read from February 07 to 20, 2012

I loved Lady in the Mist (the first book in the Midwives Series) so much that I knew I couldn't miss the sequel. Eakes did not disappoint with Heart's Safe Passage. This beautifully written book satisfies on so many levels. Exquisitely drawn characters populate a privateer ship--er, brig--during the War of 1812, one bent on using an expecting mother as bait for revenge, the other a midwife sworn to protect her patient. Phoebe Lee, Tabitha's apprentice from book one, returns as the heroine in her own story. Captain Rafe Dockerty kidnaps her aboard his brig and whisks her into a journey of intrigue, romance and confrontations with the painful past. Both must learn to forgive themselves and those who have caused them deep trauma. Hero and heroine help navigate for one another as they adjust their spiritual courses to fully trusting God once more.

I love a book that can deliver thought-provoking ideas, rich prose, and a compelling story about people I become invested in, and this book has it all. In addition, its historical setting and detail provided a wonderful escape. Five enthusiastic stars for Heart's Safe Passage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart's Safe Passage.

02/07/2012 page 35
9.28% "I laughed out loud for a whole minute at the part where Rafe recalls his mother washing out his mouth with lavender soap--the same fragrance worn by the heroine. I had to stop reading and clock into work, but it was tempting to be late just to spend another minute or two in this fantastic book."