Anoolka's Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, male-protagonist, female-protagonist, romance, time-travel, young-adult
Read from February 07 to 08, 2012

3.5 It was a fast read and I didn't really mind much about the book other than the switching povs - too often, I felt at first, though I got used to it.
Then I let myself think a little more about this book and it started to grate on me that the two protagonists wasted such an opportunity. Seriously, is realtionship status the only thing they had to check on facebook? Was there nothing else that interested them? well, apparently not really - not science, not politics, just spouses, children and houses, and a little bit about jobs but mostly about their status.
So I didn't really end up liking the protaginists in the end. They were a little too selfish and shallow, though sure, teenagers can be like that, but I'm not sure this had to be a book about such teens. Where did the plot about David (Josh's brother) go? If that had been resolved I'd have liked this book much better. as it is it feels very contained - revolving around romantic relationships.

On the plus side: I did like the writing style (it moves fast and doesn't bore you down with too much detail, scene changes don't feel too abrupt, though there are a lot of them - the book spans a week but doesn't describe every little detail, mostly action and dialogue) and it felt a little nostalgic to read about teenagers in the 90ties. The characters felt mostly well drawn (not always likable but not cardboards).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.