Joe's Reviews > The Children of Húrin

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jul 05, 2007

Recommended for: Fantasy lovers
Read in April, 2007

The Children of Hurin will make you cry--it made me cry, and that's saying something. I cry rarely, and only when something is as touching as the movie "Cool Runnings".
If you love the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit but have not been able to muster the patience and dedication it takes to read the Silmarillion, this book will inspire you to delve deeper into the ancient, tragic and glorious history of middle earth.
The story is one of Tolkien's "Great Tales" and the text was compiled from previous unfinished manuscripts by J.R.R.'s dedicated and brilliant son Cristopher. Anyone who's read the Silmarillion will know the story, but not in as much detail as it is told here. The dialogue and descriptions aren't as dense as LOTR but the account is definitely way more detailed than that of the Silmarillion.
If you're afraid of being lost by not knowing the back story, a simple reading of the preface will help. I think every Tolkien fan from the rookie to the most hardcore should read this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Húrin.

04/21/2016 marked as: read