Andrea Wall's Reviews > In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex

In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: historical, non-fiction
Read from February 07 to 12, 2012

So, the first thing y'all should know is my boyfriend game me this book. (Haha, yes he reads. I know, isn't that just great?!) Anyway, it's his favourite book and that it why I ended up reading it. I wanted to see what he loved so much about it.

In reality i would have never picked up this book on my own. While I do have a huge love of history etc. I usually focus of Royal History, and so those are usually the only books that get recommended to me and are usually the only non-fiction I read. (Though i do try and read one non-royalty related one a year.)

I'm so so glad I read this. It was fascinating. I knew nothing of whaling and the only book I'd read about Nantucket was a children's book about a cat. (Which I actually looked up again, just to see) Anyway, the whole society and everything was just as exciting and interesting as the shipwreck and survival story itself.

What I couldn't believe is that this was true story! Honestly, it seems more like fiction! Totally unbelievable. And very well written. Non-fiction has a tendency to become dull dull dull, but not this one. It is the first non-fiction book that I have read in the short period of time of a week. :D

Anyway, I'll have to read Moby-Dick sometime too. I'm now much more excited and interested in reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Heart of the Sea.

02/07/2012 page 12
4.0% "Ok, listen up people!! You know who gave me this book?! My boyfriend. Apparently it's his favourite book, so I said I had better read it! :D Yes, that's right everyone, My boyfriend reads!!! :D :D :D Hahaha"
02/09/2012 page 69
23.0% "The boy's got good taste!! I'm liking it!!"
02/11/2012 page 101
33.0% "So so interesting. It actually gives me shivers!!"