Valerie's Reviews > Undead and Unworthy

Undead and Unworthy by MaryJanice Davidson

Jul 15, 08

bookshelves: vampire

Undead and Unworthy is the continuing story of Betsy (the Vampire Queen), and her gang of friends. It's the seventh book in the series, and unfortunately I felt that it was one of the weakest.

MaryJanice Davidson prefaced the book with a note to the reader letting us know that this is the first book in a new story arc. Along with new cover art, it seems like the story lines have gotten a little sexier and lighter. But it just didn't seem to have that much substance to me. The past novels in the series were also light and sexy, but there was enough character development to draw me in. In this one, it just seemed like event after event after event occurred but I didn't really care what happened to whom, or why, or how.

I used to really like this series, but I think it's gotten a little too fluffy for me. I just wish there was a little more for me to sink my teeth into. (Ha! That was some bad vampire humor.)

I'm not sure if I'll continue with this series. I might give it one more go since I have a soft spot in my heart for it, and it is a pretty quick read. But this one almost put me off. Unworthy, indeed.

;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undead and Unworthy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I'll be waiting on the library then...

Valerie Who knows, though? We disagreed about The Host, and Michelle gave this book five stars...

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Ooh.. I haven't seen Michelle's review... have I? oy.

Michelle I didn't write one yet. I don't know if I will. I thought it was a fun read.

I thought we agreed that we weren't that impressed by The Host.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I liked it better than Val did though.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim My library doesn't have it yet. (ugh)

Michelle How do you decide how many stars to give? Do you hold all books to the same criteria, or do you make allowances for ones that are not going to win any prizes for writing?

(Gee, maybe I should start a thread about this. I think I will.)

Valerie I agreed with Michelle about The Host (I didn't really like it) but Kim did, so I just meant that even though I didn't love Undead and Unworthy, Kim still might.

I rated it two stars because I think when you scroll over them, that means "It was OK", and that's exactly what I thought of this book.

I do hold pretty much all books to the same standard, but that doesn't mean that I can't have a 5-star classic as well as a 5-star children's book, IMO.