Tracey's Reviews > Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class

Our Kind of People by Lawrence Otis Graham

Feb 07, 2012

liked it

This was a very enlightening look at a subset of culture I didn't know existed. Sport stars and entertainers don't count -- wealthy, privileged black Americans have contributed greatly to the fabric of our country, yet the media rarely features them.

I actually read this some years ago, but mention it now because I just finished Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns, and there were a couple of references to the black society clubs Our Kind of People details, so I glanced at this again. I also think this book is an interesting complement to the other, because it makes you realize that the struggle for many was not always the struggle for all. This is both good and bad, but important to understand if we are to continue to make progress in race relations as people of the world.

Unfortunately, the author's style of writing makes this book a little tedious at times. Look beyond that and go deeper into the story he's trying to tell. Research the people he references, note their accomplishments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Kind of People.

03/01/2016 marked as: read