Aili's Reviews > Personal Days

Personal Days by Ed Park

Jul 15, 2008

Recommended to Aili by: The New Yorker
Recommended for: Drunk Uncle Joe; anyone who has ever received an email about an imminent server reboot
Read in July, 2008

For the record, I am giving this book 5 stars even though I'm pretty mad at it right now... for ending. It was a pretty quick read. I would say perfect for that business trip you're about to go on, but if you get to go on paid business trips you are perhaps not quite in the target audience.

I am a little annoyed that the plot crept up on me -- I was expecting events so mundane they would seem dark/depressing (I've heard And Then We Came to the End is like this, though I haven't read it) -- not actual "dark" plot elements. I kind of wish Ed Park had stuck with the former, though I guess that would have left him with less of a structured novel and more of a genius tone-poem about what the working world is like.

Recommended to anyone who has ever worked in an office. This means you. Go get a copy right now. I will lend you mine but you have to give it back so I can lend it to somebody else after you.

Yours truly,

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Personal Days.