Danielle's Reviews > Focus

Focus by Arthur Miller

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: ricsophyr, intro-to-literary-study-1
Read from February 07 to 26, 2012

I really don't know how to explain my feelings on this book. It was a good book, technically. It was well written. But here's the thing: I didnt enjoy it in the slightest. At all. I was so relieved to reach the final page. And for a few reasons. One being the plot. I know there was a lot more to this story than a man who was percieved as being Jewish because he wore glasses. But I couldn't get past it. I realize at the time, this actually happened. But reading this as a young adult in 2012, it just seemed ridiculous. While the book takes place in a time where Anti-Semitism run rampant, it also has a very timeless feeling about it. I feel like this story and its elements could have taken place at anytime, except it is a story about Anti-Semitism, so it clearly has a time frame. It could feel like a dated story, but it doesnt. And that element just made the whole story feel kind of weird. All I could do is picture something happen like in modern times and it felt ridiculous. Plus, it bothers me that people can be so cruel and harsh, and that this man was basically ostracized because of his glasses.

So I guess I really dont have anything against the book itself. I just didn't like it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Focus.