Ashley's Reviews > Letters In Cardboard Boxes

Letters In Cardboard Boxes by Abby Slovin

Apr 23, 12

Read from April 05 to 09, 2012

I read this book a few weeks ago and have been putting off this review while I considered what to say.

Did I like this book? Yes. I feel that the writer has great ability as a storyteller and shows a lot of promise. This story is a good one, with a lot of heart put into it and is certainly worth a read.

That being said, I found myself unable to identify with the main character, Parker, due to her defeatist, victim mentality. She's just downright selfish and, though she grew throughout the book, I still didn't like who she was when I'd finished the book. I absolutely fell in love with a few of the other characters, though, and I wish the author would write a book about each of them. =)

Finally, I think the book could benefit from a good deal of editing. There were a couple of places in the book with sentences that were so poorly constructed that I had to re-read them a few times over, which messes with the flow of the story.

Overall, though, I'm glad that I read this one. The author's use of discovered and re-discovered letters to move the story along works well in most places, and only seems disjointed in a couple of spots.

Keep writing, Ms. Slovin! I'd love to see what other stories are waiting to pour out of you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters In Cardboard Boxes.