Laina's Reviews > Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie

Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-2012
Read from February 07 to 12, 2012

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

This is a great book on so many levels. "Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie" follows narrator Steven Alper through his eighth grade year as he and his family cope with his younger brother's leukemia diagnosis. Sonnenblick maintains a realistic and believable 13-year-old narration that's full of heart-felt moments and rich humor.

Plot summary:
Steven Alper faces one of his toughest years after his family learns of his younger brother's, Jeffrey's, leukemia. Through sarcasm, playing the drums, and helping take care of his brother, Steven learns to adjust to "life with cancer." Steven must learn to cope as leukemia begins to seep into his life at home and school. But he also learns just how powerful human relationships can be and how the strong bonds of family can help pull us through.

Key phrases: music, leukemia, middle school, family, human relations.

Check out the sequel After Ever After!

Recommended books:
Notes from the Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick
Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicolls

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie.

Heather Thank you for using headings to organize your review--it makes for effective writing. The personal reflection at the beginning pulled me in, so I wanted to read the other sections. You may want to note that "After Ever After" is the sequel, and "Notes" is another book by the same author.