Marlene's Reviews > Light in August: The Corrected Text

Light in August by William Faulkner

6193466
Mar 16, 12

Read from February 17 to March 11, 2012

Light in August was a recommendation from a friend. I hadn't read any book of Faulkner at all, so he thought I should maybe change that. I'm glad he suggested it.

At first it was a little hard to get used to Faulkners style of writing, but after a while I found it very interesting indeed. What also complicated matters was that he switched from one perspective to another. There were so many people the reader was watching, their stories of life interwoven with one another...!
At the same time this was something that made the book so interesting. You never knew who would be the next protagonist, because Faulkner told the stories of mostly three people, all meeting in the small town Jefferson in the South. Not even personally, but their actions influencing the life of the others as well.

I especially liked the character Christmas, a man torn between his two heritages. Raised as a white man and finally wanted for murder as a black man. He was the one I could identify with easily, even though I already knew where his story was going to end.

The book in general gives insight on life in the South at that time, presented in a truthful and criticizing way, because all the main characters didn't really fit the image of what they should be at said time. They are outsiders from society, unwanted and maybe because of this linked, even if they didn't realize it at first.

An amazing story about amazing people. This book is something for life.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light in August.

s.penkevich Hope you like this, it is one of my favorites

Marlene It´s a recommendation from Mike, so I have high expectations. ;)

s.penkevich Ah yes, if Mike recommends it, it is always excellent

Marlene Good to know. I´ve never read a book of Faulkner and as I´m determined to broaden my horizon, I thought it was a good opportunity... and Mike´s review left me slim to no chance at all not to buy it.

s.penkevich Hah, he is quite persuasive. This is a good one to start with, it's far less experimental than others of his. I hope you enjoy, Faulkner is the guy who really got me into literature.

Marlene Now that makes me curious. He recommended two books. "Light in August" and "84 Charing Cross Road". As I´reading three books simultaneously and have six others waiting... umh, well.
Faulkner really sounds interesting and from what I´ve read so far, I like his writing style well enough to try some other books written by him. But I´ll see to that after I´ve finished my nine books.
What do you like to read the most? Any favorite authors?

s.penkevich Glad you liked this. Poor J.C. 'This book is something for life.' I couldn't agree more.

Sorry, I didnt see your last comment until now. My favorites are Dostoevsky, Faulkner, Steinbeck, but lately I've really been into David Mitchell.

Marlene Can you recommend anything from Steinbeck? I wanted to read something from him for a while, but don't know anything about him so far. Any favorites?

Everitt That is a great review Marlene. If you are looking for something from Steinbeck I would suggest either East of Eden, widely considered to be his best work, though The Grapes of Wrath is a strong contender for that title, or Of Mice and Men. Of Mice and Men is required reading in many American schools and is actually quite short, maybe one hundred pages. You'll be able to read it in an afternoon and decide whether you like his voice.

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Marlene wrote: "Can you recommend anything from Steinbeck? I wanted to read something from him for a while, but don't know anything about him so far. Any favorites?"

Oh, I agree with Everitt on his suggestions. East of Eden is my favorite novel. Another interesting Steinbeck is his collection of short stories, The Long Valley, a unique collection of stories depicting the Salinas Valley through the eyes of memorable characters.

I'm very glad you posted your review. Excellent work.

Mike

message 11: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike s.penkevich wrote: "Hah, he is quite persuasive. This is a good one to start with, it's far less experimental than others of his. I hope you enjoy, Faulkner is the guy who really got me into literature."

Sullivan takes a distinguished bow. It gives me hope that in fact I might become a teacher.

Mike

s.penkevich Marlene wrote: "Can you recommend anything from Steinbeck? I wanted to read something from him for a while, but don't know anything about him so far. Any favorites?"

Hmmm, I started with Of Mice and Men through a high school class, which is a good first read. Tortilla Flat is another, it is a comedy about a bunch of drunks basically going day to day scheming to get more wine all done in a heroic Arthur and the Round Table syle.

His best, in my opinion, is East of Eden. You can't go wrong with that book. One of my favorites ever.

s.penkevich Mike wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "Hah, he is quite persuasive. This is a good one to start with, it's far less experimental than others of his. I hope you enjoy, Faulkner is the guy who really got me into litera..."

I hope you do! I'm coming there to take your Faulkner classes!

Marlene Then I'll try "Of Mice and Men" and "East of Eden".
... I just realized I added two books to my list again. And it keeps growing, and growing, and... well, you can guess how it goes on.
But thanks! :)

s.penkevich Marlene wrote: "Then I'll try "Of Mice and Men" and "East of Eden".
But thanks..."

Ha, I hear you there. My 'to-read' list is probably visible from space by now...

Marlene Same here. Partly that's great. For the other part I think Oh hell, when do I want to read all this?
But I accomplished what I wanted in the first place. I changed my taste of books. Not even a year ago I was all for YA novels, fantasy stuff. Now... it's not that appealing anymore. Thanks to Goodreads and suggestions of Goodreads members.

s.penkevich Marlene wrote: "Same here. Partly that's great. For the other part I think Oh hell, when do I want to read all this?

Good to hear! I also discovered so many books I've loved that would have never crossed my radar without Goodreads. Plus, I learned I enjoy writing reviews. I've been more proud of some of them than some of my college essays. Any new favorites?

Marlene Favorites in "Books other than YA I've read"? Mmh, that would be To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre, Kite Runner and Pride and Prejudice. There are a few I really liked, for example Light in August, Paradise Lost and Romeo and Juliet (yeah, I'm a romantic).
I might have forgotten some and they will certainly change, but these are my favorites at the moment.

s.penkevich Good choices. I've been meaning to read Jane Eyre, perhaps I'll get on that soon.

Marlene I didn't think I would like Jane Eyre that much, but somehow I did. I still don't know why, but I can recommend it.

Sarah I listened on audio to Light in August which made it even more confusing to follow. I found it well written (way beyond well!) but ultimately depressing. What was the uplifting part? The subtext of Christianity?