Keri Knutson's Reviews > The Last Storyteller: A Novel of Ireland

The Last Storyteller by Frank Delaney

F_50x66
Feb 07, 12

Read in February, 2012

I was fortunate to receive an advance review copy of Frank Delaney’s The Last Storyteller. It was my first introduction to his work, and even though the book is part of a continuing series, it works wonderfully as a stand-alone novel.

While the beginning is just a tad slow, it was soon easy to be lost in Ben and Venetia’s story while still being captivated by the interweaving of the legends and mythos of Ireland too – not an easy feat, and one that shows off Delaney’s considerable narrative skills.

Delany is both a lyrical writer and a master of pacing. He draws characters with a few deft strokes and makes them seem complex and believable. I was taken by the contrast of beautiful description and the casual brutality of many of the scenes. It really captures a time period in Irish history and brings it to life. And in segments where a love story could have been somewhat self-indulgent, it speaks to the way we mythologize our own lives and how we pass down our memories to future generations, how we can't escape our own histories and how we draw on the past to fill out our lives.

While historical in nature, that history never seems rote or boring – it’s a breathing, living thing that is just as compelling as any piece of action or intrigue. It’s a beautiful and exciting book, full of memorable scenes, and I highly recommend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Storyteller.