Kathryn's Reviews > Frog and Toad Are Friends

Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel

Feb 07, 2012

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books
Read in February, 2012

"THE WHOLE WORLD IS COVERED IN BUTTONS AND NOT ONE OF THEM IS MINE!!!"
Haha, oh, gosh, I can SO relate to that sometimes ;-) And to poor Toad, looking all over for his missing button, finding many others but not his! But, the nice thing is, he has his best friend Frog to help him look. And when he finds out he has caused Frog a big inconvenience, Toad does something very nice for his friend.

This beautiful give-and-take of friendship is so masterfully captured in Arnold Lobel's charming classic. I loved Frog and Toad when I was little, and I love them now. I can so relate to both their personalities and how they compliment one another so well. (They remind me a bit of Bert and Ernie, from "Sesame Street", whom my childhood self also love for the same reasons.) I wanted to give poor old Toad a big hug and tell him to stop being such a grump, and I wanted to invite Frog over to bring some of his cheery spirit to my day. Yet, beneath the grumbly exterior, Toad has a good heart and always looks out for his friend.

My favorite chapters were the aforementioned "The Lost Button" as well as the final chapter, "The Letter" (since I love getting letters, I so sympathized with poor Toad; though I also have a few good friends who do send me letters, thank goodness!) It was so sweet and poignant. I really marvel at children's book authors, who can convey so much with so few words. The illustrations are also utterly charming.

(The only chapter I wasn't a huge fan of was "A Swim" because, while I could see the humor and understand that sometimes it is very hard to resist laughing at something absurd (and the little "moral of the story" that Toad brought the attention on himself by being so concerned about how he looked, I'm not sure I liked that Frog did laugh at him.)

All in all, highly recommended and a great book about friendship!

7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frog and Toad Are Friends.

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Oh, it's Frog and Toad! This was my very favorite series of books for the longest time. I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Kathryn Melanie wrote: "Oh, it's Frog and Toad! This was my very favorite series of books for the longest time. I'm glad you're enjoying them!"

It's such fun to revisit childhood pals ;-)