Eric's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

bookshelves: book-club, fantasy, young-adult
Recommended to Eric by: Manny Citron
Recommended for: Speculative Fiction fans
Read from February 29 to March 01, 2012, read count: Once

I've heard a lot of different books lauded as "the next Harry Potter" -- from YA titles like Eragon, The Lightning Thief, Twilight, and The Hunger Games, to speculative fiction works such as The Name of the Wind and The Magicians. But I have never heard that buzz for this book. In fact, I had thought this was a horror (the cover art is very reminiscent of movies like The Ring and Woman in Black ).

Despite the lack of buzz, this book should be compared favorably to Harry Potter, with the material, tone and writing all lending themselves to the lofty comparisons. Of course, with a movie based on the book being optioned, they may soon come, but with Tim Burton slated to direct, that too may be mismarketed as a horror story.

As for the book's story, it is told from the point-of-view of Jacob, a teenager who discovers long lost secrets from his grandfather's past that come back to shape his future. I won't give away specifics from the plot, but it reads as a mix of the above-mentioned Harry Potter and The Magicians, and also shares a lot of similarities with X-Men.

One thing that did bother me was that the book ended with the start of a journey -- I haven't seen a sequel set-up this obvious since watching Mortal Kombat .

As for the photographs, I understand that they were the inspiration that eventually led to the writing of the book, but I believe the author would have been better served by removing the photos altogether (and describing them in better detail) or lumping them together in the middle or end of the book. Having them inserted throughout the story kept pulling me out of the narrative. Also, the pictures looked terrible on the Kindle for PC app, and I am certain they would have looked even worse on my physical Kindle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leon (new) - added it

Leon Aldrich Thanks Eric for being courageous enough to share a YA novel with us. I still have yet to read any Harry Potter, mostly due to the story line isn't that engaging or uniquely original, even for a youth book.

Especially when there are TONS of great novels to read:
The Name of the Wind , The Black Prism , and the The Warded Man just to book drop a few.

Eric Yeah, I read YA stuff a fair bit -- I think a lot of the time, books are just marketed as YA just to sell more copies. And yes, The Name of the Wind is a personal favorite of mine, and The Warded Man has been on my to-read list for a while.

message 3: by Leon (new) - added it

Leon Aldrich Eric wrote: "Yeah, I read YA stuff a fair bit -- I think a lot of the time, books are just marketed as YA just to sell more copies. And yes, The Name of the Wind is a personal favorite of mine, and The Warded ..."

Stop reading anything else. You've got to read The Warded Man! (I won't say any more other than you will kick yourself for not taking the plunge sooner).

Eric There is a method to my madness -- I am not going to read it until the third book of the trilogy comes out next year, this way I can read all three back-to-back. Otherwise, I wind up forgetting too many details and having to go back and reread too much.

This same logic is why I have not yet read the Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin.

message 5: by Leon (new) - added it

Leon Aldrich Eric wrote: "There is a method to my madness -- I am not going to read it until the third book of the trilogy comes out next year, this way I can read all three back-to-back. Otherwise, I wind up forgetting to..."

True. I am similarly afflicted. Although you can put notes down on each book you read to jog your memory.

message 6: by Ahj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ahj And I definitely agree with this one.