Jane Stewart's Reviews > Dreaming of You

Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in February, 2012

Sweet, feel good, historical romance.

STORY BRIEF:
Derek was abandoned by his prostitute mother in the streets. He was cared for by other prostitutes. He survived on the streets by sweeping chimneys, digging up bodies for medical schools, and servicing wealthy ladies. He now owns a gambling club and is wealthy. He was never loved. He doesn’t know what happiness means. He fears attachment and breaks up with any woman who gets too close. He is selfish, secretive, bitter, and lonely. He recently broke up with Joyce, an unhappily married woman. She hires two thugs to beat him up and disfigure his face with a knife.

Sara lives in the country with her parents. She wrote a best selling novel about a prostitute. She comes to London to do research for her next book. She wants to observe prostitutes, street people, and gambling halls. She carries a gun in her reticule. She sees Derek being beaten up and pulls out her gun. She accidentally kills one thug and the other runs off. She helps Derek walk to his gambling hall. He allows her to stay a short while to observe for her research.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
It’s delightful. I liked the way the employees at Derek’s club liked Sara and treated her. I liked the way Sara took a chance and told Derek she loved him. The story continues for a while after they marry which was nice for a change from the typical romance novel. I liked the sex scenes - sweet, nice, made me smile. I LOVED the way Derek treated Sara after they were married. That is the biggest draw. I was pleased that the author did not use stupidity or vague communication to create conflict. She used a jilted scorned lover for that.

OTHER BOOKS:
I’ve read the following Lisa Kleypas books. Dates are copyright dates.

4 stars. Dreaming of You 1994
3 stars. Someone to Watch Over Me 1999
1 star. Where Dreams Begin 2000 (illogical heroine made stupid decisions)
4 stars. Lady Sophia’s Lover 2002
3 ½ stars. Worth Any Price 2003
2 stars. Mine Till Midnight 2007 (too much enabling and searching for heroine’s wayward brother, too many unanswered questions)
4 ½ stars. Sugar Daddy 2007

DATA:
Story length: 373 pages. Swearing language: mild, including religious swear words. Sexual language: none to mild. Number of sex scenes: 9. Estimated number of sex scene pages: 18. Setting: probably early 1800s England. Copyright: 1994. Genre: historical romance.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming of You.

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Another great review! Thanks, Jane. I think I'll try this one.

Jane Stewart Hannah wrote: "Another great review! Thanks, Jane. I think I'll try this one."

Thank you Hannah. Hope it's good for you.

Norma One of my all time favorite books. I re-read this quite often. I love Derek. Glad you liked it.

Jane Stewart Wow. How neat. Glad you liked it too.

message 5: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Yes, this is one of my favorite Lisa Kleypas books (like most of them). Thanks for being a reviewer I can follow.

Jane Stewart Kay wrote: "Yes, this is one of my favorite Lisa Kleypas books (like most of them). Thanks for being a reviewer I can follow."

Thanks Kay :)