Amanda's Reviews > American Vampire, Vol. 3

American Vampire, Vol. 3 by Scott Snyder

1219253
Jul 23, 13

bookshelves: comics, kick-ass, blog, bloodsuckers
Read from June 18 to July 04, 2012

I can distill my review of why volume 3 of American Vampire is my favorite in the series down to two words: Nazi vampires.

Seriously, does anything else need to be said? Probably not, but just try to shut up my enthusiasm for Snyder's series.

In volume 3, we follow our American vampires and those who love to try and stake 'em into World War II. In the first storyline, Pearl's husband, Henry, is enlisted by the Vassals of the Morning Star (a society of vampire hunters who have made an uneasy pact to keep Pearl and Henry safe) to join a team being sent to the island of Taipan to wipe out an indigenous vampire. When they arrive, they find a vampire unlike any they've ever seen: these vampires retain nothing of their former humanity, can turn a human in a matter of minutes, and are particularly vicious. To complicate matters, the first American vampire, Skinner Sweet, jealous of Henry's relationship with Pearl, sneaks aboard with the intention of killing Henry.

In the second storyline (which is by far my favorite), Felicia Book and Cash McCogan are sent to a remote European castle to track down a rumored cure for vampirism. What they find instead is a Nazi plan to utilize vampires as the ultimate killing machines.

Felicia Book is a particularly interesting character. The daughter of a vampire and a human, Felicia has a huge chip on her shoulder as she has been raised to avenge the death of her father. She's one bad ass mamma-jamma and Snyder hasn't clearly addressed exactly what genetic side effects she may have from her supernatural parent. It will be interesting to see how she continues to develop as a character.

The vampire mythology continues to be the most intriguing part of the story. So many vampire types, developing over the centuries and in varying geographical areas, have led to distinct species with particular strengths and weaknesses. The introduction of the towering ancient vampires hidden beneath the Nazi stronghold is one that I hope gets more focus in future storylines.

Cross posted at This Insignificant Cinder
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Vampire, Vol. 3.

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Slow down! Volume 4 doesn't come out until October!

Amanda Dan wrote: "Slow down! Volume 4 doesn't come out until October!"

I can't stop myself. I've gotta fever and the only prescription is more Sweet!

Kemper And the best thing about Nazi vampires? They don't sparkle.

Amanda Kemper wrote: "And the best thing about Nazi vampires? They don't sparkle."

And they never fall passionately, hopelessly, and madly in love with jailbait.

message 5: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy What do you think of Nazi Zombies? Watched a somewhat silly movie on netflix not long ago - Norwegian I think - that had Nazi zombies. I liked it. :-)

message 6: by Meenakshi (new)

Meenakshi It was probably about time when two most notorious species are combined to form a super villain.
Nice review by the way.

Amanda Meenakshi wrote: "It was probably about time when two most notorious species are combined to form a super villain.
Nice review by the way."

Thanks!

Ronyell Awesome review Amanda! I've been loving this series and I can't wait to check out the newest volume!

Amanda Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Amanda! I've been loving this series and I can't wait to check out the newest volume!"

This series gets better and better. And it has restored my faith in vampires as violent, yet intelligent bloodsuckers. No baseball games during thunderstorms or the angsty yearning of teenage love!

Ronyell Amanda wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Amanda! I've been loving this series and I can't wait to check out the newest volume!"

Yeah! That's the best thing about this series! Vampires are actually bloodthirsty monsters, not angsty teens that you can get tired of in a few...days! :D