Corinne's Reviews > Infernal Devices

Infernal Devices by K.W. Jeter

F_50x66
Feb 15, 12

Read from February 07 to 15, 2012

It was a painful journey through that book. The first part was slow and very disturbing (I was beginning to think the author was the real mad man in all that stuff...) Past the middle of the book, it was a bit easier, either things became less weird than before, either I got used to weirdness, I just don't know (perhaps I just dropped the idea to piece the parts together). Paradoxically, the world upon wich seats this book is not really anchored in the clockwork or steam way of life, though there are some in it, they are but rarities, oddities or marginal things. Most of the travels of the hero through the books are being made by horse-drawn carriage, horse-riding or just sailing (an other way is weirder, but to tell it would spoil the story). I was very happy to reach the end, not because I couldn't stand not knowing what happened or what the plot was, but because, I was, at last, through it... I won't recommand anyone to read this one unless he/she is aware of its weirdness and he/she is fond of that genre. I think some people can have fun reading this book, it's very well written, the author doesn't lack humour, it's obvious, but that's not enough for me to have fun reading his book. It's definitely not my kind of book. I think I'll try an other steampunk novel after this one, cause I don't want to be spoiled of great reads just because I couldn't "buy" the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infernal Devices.