Ciara's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Feb 17, 09

bookshelves: kids-books, especially-great-novels, read-in-2008, read-in-2006, read-in-2007, read-in-2009
Recommended for: everyone ever
Read in September, 2008, read count: about twenty times

this is my favorite of all seven harry potter books. it came out while i was living briefly in minneapolis. another friend pre-ordered it for my birthday (having a july birthday has come in handy for something, at last--after all those years of never hearing my name in the birthday section of school announcements) & it came two days before i was set to move back to boston. one of my minneapolis housemate's boyfriends had also pre-ordered a copy to be sent to our house, so he was sleeping on the couch on the porch, waiting for it to arrive. it did at about 7am, & he came & woke me up, & we sat on the couch reading for the next six hours or so. when we got to be big climactic death, we were all, "holy shit! did you get to--" "yeah, OMG! what the fuck!" "what the hell is going on here!" etc. when we finished reading, we looked at each other, at a complete loss for how to express our emotions upon learning all about horcruxes, voldemort's youthful indiscretions, snape's duplicity, et al. then he said, "so, if i go rent all the movies, do you want to have a movie marathon?" "i'll make popcorn!" i said. & that is how i spent my last few days in minneapolis, in this bizarre popcorn-fueled haze of harry potter madness. i still LOVE this book, because it once again contains really good teaching (i really prefer teachers like slughorn & lupin, who teach harry useful things he needs to know in a way that he clearly is excited for, over teachers like snape & umbridge, who are just foils for animosity, even if snape is maybe objectively a pretty good teacher), & i also loved all the bits about voldemort's past, & the scene where dumbledore & harry go to retrieve a horcrux is full of drama & suspense. i could have maybe lived without harry's bizarre obsession with the secret life of draco malfoy (seriously, it's the stuff slash fiction was made of), but he turned out to be acting on a good hunch, so i'll let it slide. i also could have done without snape once again being all "scooby-doo" villain at the end, flipping out on harry, but...whatever. & i know harry is really sad at the end about the climactic death (which i won't name, lest anyone on earth hasn't yet read the book), but i am SO TIRED OF HIS MOPING. okay, done.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.