Deborah Dicks's Reviews > A Land More Kind Than Home

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash

Feb 12, 2012

Read from February 07 to 11, 2012

Wiley Cash creates a palpable atmosphere in this book so that you can almost smell the tobacco drying and hear the wind rustling through the corn fields. His character development is also very skilful as he makes his characters realistic and lifelike so that you can really believe in them. Furthermore he writes from multiple points of view with different chapters being given to different people and I liked this as I felt I understood the motivations and feelings of the various people in the book, although I felt that a chapter in Ben Hall's father's voice would have been a delightful addition.

However, personally I found his writing style a little difficult to get into, mainly because the different chapters are written in the first person as if they were the words of the person relating that particular chapter. This in itself is not a problem, but in order to replicate the accent and speaking patterns of the person accurately, Cash often wrote using poor grammar. This is appropriate as it reflects the speech of the character, but as someone who loves words and grammatical accuracy I found it somewhat irritating. Nevertheless I appreciate that it was included to give the story a greater sense of realism and believability.

The messages in this story are frightening - they show how religious fervour can become dangerous and can lead to shocking events. The book also covers a variety of other serious themes - physical abuse, poverty, autism and child loss being just a few. The ending is particularly powerful and shocking - I certainly did not see it coming - and it was though I had been hit in the stomach by a punch I didn't see coming. Wham! And that was it - the book ended leaving me shocked and stunned. It's a powerful debut novel and it made me think - recommended!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Land More Kind Than Home.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Deborah,

Thanks so much for the 4 stars and for taking the time to write such a nice review. It really means a lot to a debut author. We need all the help we can get. Thanks again!

Wiley

Deborah Dicks Thanks for taking the time to comment! It's always nice to hear from an author - I have such admiration for you guys! Are we to expect more novels from you soon? Hint Hint!