Chris's Reviews > Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World

Boomerang by Michael Lewis

U_50x66
Feb 07, 12

Read in February, 2012

I never thought I'd laugh so much while reading a book on the near collapse of the world financial industry. This book is a collection of article's that Lewis wrote for Vanity Fair about the countries hit hard by the Panic of '08.

Regarding Ireland, Lewis writes:
"What happened was that everyone in Ireland had the idea that somewhere in Ireland there was a wise old man who was in charge of the money, and this was the first time they'd ever seen this little man... And then they saw him and said, WHO THE F@CK WAS THAT??? IS THAT THE F@CKING GUY WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THE MONEY??? That's when everyone panicked."

And of Iceland:
"[Then] comes a screeching from the far side of the room. I leave the bed to examine the situation. It's the heat, sounding like a teakettle left on the stove for too long, straining to control itself. Iceland's heat isn't heat as we know it, but heat drawn directly from the earth. The default temperature of the water is scalding. Every year workers engaged in street repairs shut down the cold-water intake used to temper the hot water and some poor Icelander is essentially boiled alive in his shower. So powerful is the heat being released from the earth into my room that some great grinding, wheezing engine must be employed to prevent it from cooking me."

If you liked The Big Short, then I think you will enjoy this book as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomerang.