Jasmine Finch's Reviews > The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates

The Other Wes Moore by Wes  Moore

Feb 07, 12

Read in February, 2012

I enjoyed this book, I read it as a part of the Summer Reading Committee at my university and think it will be a wonderful addition to the books that have been read over the years. The themes are easy to pick out and discuss: choices, poverty, fate vs. choice, celebrating success, etc.

Some folks on the committee had feelings about the ending that verged on the negative because he seems to almost brag about how well he has been doing. My question is, when you've gained success and accomplished great things, how do you tell your story? Even if it is in a matter of fact manner, someone will always deem your story to be about bragging. I agree that he came off a little bit like "look how much better I've done" but he was making a point. Two boys from the same neighborhood with possibly similar opportunities and because of the choices they made and opportunities given to them, they turned out to be completely different.

Another one of the conversations we had was about whether students could relate to the story given the story is about two black boys growing up poor to become men in different situations. Who can't relate to choices, taking or missing opportunities, second chances, etc? Those have nothing to do with race or socio-economic class, those are pieces of humanity.

Overall I enjoyed the book, it is a page turner and will spark good conversations amongst the first year students reading it. I am hoping that the story will open their eyes a bit.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Wes Moore.