Julia's Reviews > Writing Movies for Fun and Profit: How We Made a Billion Dollars at the Box Office and You Can, Too!

Writing Movies for Fun and Profit by Robert Ben Garant

Feb 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-new-to-me-author-a-z-challenge, advice, non-fiction, screenplays
Read in February, 2012

Written by the guys who wrote (and starred in) “Reno 911!” tv show and movies; these men have written many successful crappy movies and made bucket loads of cash from them. Some of their ideas: live in LA, expect to get fired, always be writing, all Hollywood studio movies employ the exact same formula, use a program called Final Draft because all studios expect that it will be used. The last 110 pages of the book are three very detailed outlines that screenwriters write before they turn in screenplays. The first screenplay (is that the same as a treatment?) was an unproduced "Reno 911" movie that I just couldn’t finish reading. It was a hokey, unfunny mess that I wouldn’t watch on free cable. The next one, “Scout’s Honor,” was sweet, perhaps a little over the top, and if it had the right cast, etc., I’d love to see it in a movie theater.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Movies for Fun and Profit.