Luciano Ferreira's Reviews > Lost Girls

M 50x66
Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: poetry
Read in September, 2011

The ease and exhilaration of getting lost in Decker's world soon made me realise that these girls, archetypes of a women's psyche, are not all vulnerable and seeking help;
Some of them are sirens, hunters of men who are making their way through Decker's imagination, that come to life especially in her poems "Sick With This" and "Hurry".

Decker is able to seamlessly combine fairy legend and mythical characters within her modern narrative to capture the essence and duality of women.
These stark transitions are applied as deftly as a vixen's lipstick brush, where fantasies played out in "Girl in a cafe" then become the innocent and almost contradictory confessions of a broken-hearted girl in "Sunsets Were Made" only to then be transfigured into the feministic defiance of "You Split" and "Stupid Girl".

Within this eclectic collection, Decker's pieces dedicated to her family are some of her most tender and touching moments.

My favourites are "Advice For My Unborn Daughter", "Ground Zero" and "Slamming Doors" but there is much to be enjoyed because Lost Girls is truly an accomplished collection of prose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Girls.