Jenni Frencham's Reviews > Luna

Jan 13, 14

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, lgbtqia-lit
Read in February, 2012

Luna was born Liam and is a girl trapped in a boy's body. As a transgender person, Luna must hide during the day, only coming out to be herself at night. I appreciated this book's depiction of Luna's struggle, as well as the struggle of Regan, Luna's sister. I also appreciated that this book showed how difficult it could be for parents to accept their gender-nonconforming children.

I liked that Luna's friend, Aly, initially reacted negatively to the truth of Luna's gender identity, but eventually came around and chose to stay friends with Luna, even though Aly admits that it will take time for her to get used to the idea of a female friend instead of a male one.

Two caveats: at one point Regan refers to Luna as a tranny, which is just plain rude and doesn't seem to fit the context of their conversation, either. Also, Luna refers to cisgender females as GGs, which is just complicated and odd, as none of my trans friends have ever used the term GG or TG. It would have made more sense for the author to use terminology generally employed by the LGBTQ+ population.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luna.