Alana Smith's Reviews > The Mysteries of Harris Burdick

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg

F_50x66
Feb 07, 12

Read in February, 2012

This is probably one of the most interesting books I've ever read. At first I skipped past the introduction but by the time I got to page three I knew it was probably necessary. And it was. The mystery of the pictures allowed you to think of your own stories that went along with them in your head. Some looked really scary and some simply beautiful, such as A Strange Day In July. In this book the pictures are essential. I'm pretty sure nobody would understand it without them nor be able to imagine what the mini stories were about. The sketches were great and didn't need colors at all. I believe that the text was written to create some type of cliff-hanger for the audience to have an open mind about what they wanted to happen. This is why the book is so good- there really is no depth to it, unless you make it. Children will be forced to use their imagination and so will adults (which is always refreshing).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysteries of Harris Burdick.