Jess's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Sep 10, 08

bookshelves: z_08, caudill-09, ya, fantasy
Recommended to Jess by: Rebecca Caudill; YA Book Club Sept. 08
Recommended for: Readers who loved How I Live Now; Fans of The Day After TV Special,
Read in July, 2008

After a gigantic asteroid strikes the Moon, throwing off the tides and setting off a series of catastrophic weather events and countless deaths, Miranda's family struggles to survive. Gas is $12, grocery stores are empty, and electricity is questionable. Life has changed.

A science fiction page turner with it's toes firmed planted in reality. Even though it's told in the form of a sixteen year old girl's diary, the writing is absorbing, not tedious. Plenty of realistic dialog and details (such as the bits about her world shrinking) are included throughout her entries.

Yes it's depressing, somber, and, at times, worrying. However, it is well done. This story will stay with you. Thankfully, there are a few moments of happiness that are quite wonderful (ice skating).

The story will make readers think: about family, about personal strength, about what you need, what you don't, and what constitutes a delight.

Note: reminded me somewhat of How I Live Now -- without the punctuation problem.

Book Club Note: one member suggested a pairing of this and Anne Frank seeing as they both revolved around a shrinking social circle, restricted means, and dealing with that amount of family. There's something to this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.