Per Gunnar's Reviews > Shadow of Freedom

Feb 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: military, science-fiction
Read from February 23 to 24, 2013

The book in itself is not a bad book but then David Weber generally does not write really “bad” books. At least I cannot remember having read one. However, I quite frankly feel cheated by this book. I have waited eagerly for quite a while to get my hands on a new Honor Harrington book and when I finally do…there is no Honor Harrington in it!!!

Yes the story takes place within the main story arc of the Honor Harrington novels but it does not really advance the story in any major way. A good chunk of the book is taken by a minor skirmish that, from the main perspective, can be said to be a side story and nothing more.

Also, as is, unfortunately, now a common trait of the works of David Weber that a lot of the book is spent on talk, talk, talk between different parties. This is a shame since he is really better than most in writing actual space battles. Actually, the before mentioned minor skirmish is probably the most fun part of the entire book to read.

As I mentioned above the book is not really bad. Quite to the contrary it is a quite good book although I would have preferred a bit less talking, especially since most of the talking is about politics and such despicable activities, and more of the actual action parts. It is however totally mismatched against my expectations. In particular, the fact that it is presented as an Honor Harrington novel and then Honor Harrington herself is not really in it is just…not right. I could perhaps have accepted that if the book actually advanced the story in any significant way but that it does not.

I am indeed somewhat disappointed with this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of Freedom.

Neil Apparently this and ART were originally going to be one book but they were split for length.