Alyssa's Reviews > Mercury

Mercury by Hope Larson

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-2012
Read from February 10 to 12, 2012

Mercury is a graphic novel about two girls from the same family that grew up in the same house, but are separated by 150 years time. Both Josey’s and Tara’s families are in rough spots searching for wealth and happiness in their own times. As new characters enter their lives things begin to change- both girls fall in love but only one actually finds something worth treasuring.
I gave Mercury three stars because I did not like how the two storylines happening in parallel seemed to have nothing to do with each other. Larson helps her readers by making all frames from modern day (Tara’s story) on white background and Josey’s on black background. There were times when the switch between storylines just didn’t work for me. Larson successfully attempts to connect the two storylines at the end of the book but I didn’t feel like she provided her reader with a strong enough end-of-book resolution. I also found a few text-less frames hard to read. Excluding those few frames, this graphic novel did have some superb illustrations. I loved Larson’s use of onomatopoeia in her frames. Overall, I liked the book- I just didn’t fall in love with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercury.