Shorty Nation's Reviews > Harbinger

Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne

Feb 06, 12

** spoiler alert ** I give it 3 1/2 stars. The writing was sufficient, the main character was interesting, but it was the plot that really gripped my heart all the way up to the end. The plot is so deliciously dark and saturated with mystery and creepy apocalyptic foreboding. It's not like anything I've read in a long time. It's the best plot I've read since Angelfall (which is everything I want in a book and more).

The book focuses on Faye and fleshes her out nicely. However, the rest of her "family" are somewhat 2 dimensional. I would have liked to see the relationships developed in a different way, but it wouldn't stop me from recommending the book.

What made me take off so many stars was the ending. It felt like a total cop out. So..for thousands of years they were going to kill off the entire world's population because they just happened to forget about sucking in the poison into trees?? I was so ANGRY. I felt cheated of some heart wrenching sacrifice. It made a mockery of the rest of the book. Booo, I say. Boo.

I'd still read it, but then I would stop two chapters before the end...Ok, I know no one will stop two chapters before the end, but come ON.

Did anyone else feel this way?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harbinger.