Mrsinserra's Reviews > Ordinary Magic

Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: ebooks
Read from February 06 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** This book is a Middle Grades fantasy/paranormal book. It takes place in an alternate reality where "normal" people are magical and the freaks are "ords," or people who can't do magic. It is along the same lines as Harry Potter- except the school for special kids is the schools for "ords." The students we follow in this book are in their first year of school and the story is written with readers of the same age in mind with regard to reading level/difficulty of the book.

There are a four main kid character who are best friends and there are the teachers, some of whom are ords and some who are magical. There are magical beasts, such as minotaurs that are good and creatures like red caps that are bad. All these characters are an important part of the story.

The main "adventure" in this novel surrounds the fact that Adventurers, people who take on quests to get magical items usually as a paid job, use ords as the tool to get through the magical obstacles and traps they find protecting said magical object. They use ords because magic does not work on an ord and they can just walk through the traps- most of the time.

Now in this country the selling and buying of ords is illegal, as per the rule of King Steven. So instead of trying to buy ords, which many still try to do but without as much success, two Adventurers, Mike and Trixie, decide to steal one. Unfortunately for them, they steal Abby who is still loved by her parents and siblings even though she is an ord. This leads to many an adventure in the book.

I don't want to spoil the story, since it is totally amazing, but it is both happy and sad. Sad because it is a cliff hanger and I want to read more of this story right now. Suffice to say I will be getting the next installment as soon as it comes out.

I would recommend this book to middle school kids- around 5th or 6th grade depending on their reading level, but also to adults who are fans of the Harry Potter novels and are jonesing for another special school/magic series to follow.

I read this as an ARC through NetGalley. I am not paid to give books positive reviews, this is just my honest opinion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Magic.