Dan's Reviews > Glasshouse

Glasshouse by Charles Stross

M 50x66
Feb 06, 12

Read in February, 2012

I really enjoyed the book start to finish although it can be hard to follow at times. The reader is thrown into the book and not given many details on how or why things are until a bit later. The ending is a bit anti-climactic considering the build up, however it does not disappoint.

The setting is sometime far into the future, after humans have reached a critical point in the next step in evolution called the acceleration, which implies we have created or become emotional machines.
Basically humans have evolved and created technology that transcends our physical limitations and have become essentially immortal.

I won't go into details about the plot because although it is a sci-fi story, it is basically a mystery/action novel so the more I reveal, the less the reader of the review will get to enjoy the book.

Let's just say the characters are very interesting people and there are a lot of different concepts all interwoven together, some subtly and others not so much. Various concepts such as religion, the state of society today, immortality, gender, sexuality, war, etc. The author does a great job highlighting these things without the book being obtrusive or trying to preach a message.

This book isn't for everyone, but as a huge fan of sci-fi, I find that this is one of the better stories coupled with far fetching technological concepts I've read in a while. Well worth the read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glasshouse.