Alex Bennett's Reviews > Fireseed One

Fireseed One by Catherine Stine

Mar 13, 12

Read in February, 2012

I’m not a fan of science fiction. However, that didn’t stop me from enjoying Fireseed One immensely. Because even though it is sci-fi—heavily so—it was an action-packed, emotional thrill ride that made me forget about the genre, and instead focus on the characters and their journey.

Fireseed One is based in a highly imaginative futuristic world where land is a desert wasteland, and people have chosen to build their lives on and around the water to survive. Everything is barren and dry, and there is little hope. However, Varik, the protagonist of Fireseed One, just may hold the key to survival of the human race.

Catherine Stine’s writing was able to hook me at the beginning of Fireseed One and kept my attention throughout the novel. There really wasn’t a dull moment in this book, and when I wasn’t reading it, I wanted to be. There are twists and turns around every corner, and Stine really throws some surprises in there!

Varik was a strong, relatable protagonist. He was the perfect troubled hero, really. He had a big weight on his shoulders, and through it all I didn’t get bothered with him very much at all. Marisa is probably my favorite character in Fireseed One. You never really know where she truly stands, and she definitely keeps you guessing. In the end, I enjoyed reading about most of the characters in Fireseed One.

Even if you’re not a sci-fi fan, I think a lot of people would find pleasure in Fireseed One. I was not expecting to like it at all when I first read it, and ended up wanting more when I finished. You might be taking a chance on this one, but trust me, it’s worth it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireseed One.