David Sarkies's Reviews > Dragon Wing

Dragon Wing by Margaret Weis

Jan 25, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy

I only ever read book one
6 February 2012

Another fantasy novel that was given to me by a friend who told me that it was good so I should read it, and I did, a long time ago. Back in those days I really did not have huge amounts of money, so would generally borrow books from the library or off friends. The problem with borrowing books from the library is that you generally have between two to four weeks to read them, which is not really a problem if you can devote your entire time to reading books. If you, like me, end up borrowing more than you can read then you have a problem, though most book libraries that I know do not charge for borrowing books.
Somebody said in their review, 'if you think this is just another fantasy novel, then you are mistaken'. Well, I would probably say that it is just another fantasy novel, set in a strange fantasy world, with maybe an interesting plot, but nothing all that substantial or world altering. To me, this is just a story, and while it may be moving away from the Lord of the Rings clones, looking back at this time makes me think that I would have done better to read real books, but then again back then I really did not know what a real book was, and wouldn't have even tried to read Hamlet if my life depended on it.
This series in set in a fantasy future where the world have been splinted into five realms, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and the Labyrinth. The splintering of the world was caused by a war between two races, one of which were imprisoned in the Labyrinth. However, the other race vanished, and one of the lurkers in the labyrinth found a way out, and wants to release his people so that they may return to the world.
This story is set in the realm of air, a realm consisting of numerous floating continents. It seems that it is divided between the upper and lower reaches, with the elves living above and the dwarves below. In a way it does seem similar to other fantasy novels, with elves, dwarves, dragons, and strange human cultures. Obviously it is always a struggle to create a unique culture, but to do that one needs to understand culture. However, I think I will leave this book here, as there is little more I wish to write about it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Wing.