Paul's Reviews > The Grace of Silence: A Family Memoir

The Grace of Silence by Michele Norris

M 50x66
Feb 06, 12

Read in February, 2012

A refreshingly candid story of an African American family in MN, their roots in America, and particular the father's experiences coming from Birmingham, AL. There are various contrasts interwoven throughout: north/south, black/white, diverse cultural values within both white and black communities. And the author tells her story with pacing and drama to keep it a story, and not simple a monologue. The reader feels like he knows what it is like to be Michelle Norris, to know her parents and their stories too.

As the title suggests, there is grace in silence--not the silence of cover-up or denial--but in a silence of being willing to let past hurts go, to recognize hurt on the part of all parties, to give the right to bitter recriminations. There is grace (redemption) in the silence of forgiveness, but the author also notes that there is power in knowledge and understanding. Therefore, it is important to hear the stories, gain a richer perspective, and be ready to forgive.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grace of Silence.

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Sounds like a really good book. . . Did you have it on your Kindle, or hard copy? Wish we lived closer so I could borrow all your great books. :)

message 2: by Dental (new)

Dental Instrument Books are a physical, useful history of our world. Sure we have the internet and pc systems with bulk of information saved in them but all of history isn't in a pc. History, the testimonies of civilations long gone and historical dialects overlooked are somewhere in a publication.
Surgical Instruments

message 3: by Jahanzaib (new)

Jahanzaib This website has really a very useful articles, specially the quality of the content is superb. I have bookmark this site to my list and definitely i will come back to this site again and will increase my knowledge.
Quran Tutor Online

message 4: by Ali (new)

Ali Shah What a great article, i just loved it and i loved to read it. Excellent thought author,i have bookmarked it.
Embroidery Designs