Emily Mellow's Reviews > Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs: The Thrivalist's Guide to Life Without Oil

Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs by Wendy  Brown

Feb 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: gardening
Read from February 19 to 26, 2012

I had to give this book 3 stars because it really inspired us to make some changes and re-prioritize. For example, suddenly spending $120 on several fruit trees really made sense and we took the plunge, and now it feels like we are really on our way towards having an urban farm.
I wanted to give less stars though, because I really didn't enjoy the tone of the book. I imagine it was written by someone who is very passionate about getting everyone to make these changes, but not someone who has much writing experience, and although she is well-intentioned, she doesn't have much real farming experience either. There were many things that I read aloud to Nik because they absolutely made no sense, and I had to share them with someone.
However, inspiration comes from all kinds of places, and this book definitely worked for me on some level. Seems like every book I read these days moves us one step forward into sustainable urban farming!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surviving the Apocalypse in the Suburbs.