Courtney Cole's Reviews > Winnemucca, a small-town fairy tale

Winnemucca, a small-town fairy tale by Laura A.H. Elliott

Feb 06, 12

I will admit that when I picked Winnemucca up tonight to read it, I was tired and not really in the mood to read, which is unusual for me. However, it wasn't long before Ms. Elliott's poetic writing had drawn me in and captivated me completely. I quickly knew that I was in for the long haul, so I ran a bubble bath and poured a glass of wine and settled in for the ride.

And what a ride it was! Ms. Elliott has created a main character in Ginny that makes you root for her so completely that when something bad happens (and spoiler alter: bad things do happen), you ache for her- you root for her to land on her feet, to fight harder. And Ginny is a fighter- something that I love in a YA main character. There is no whiny, push-over, mopey girl here in Ginny. No way. She's totally kick-ace.

Winnemucca is more than a coming-of-age story. It's a tale of a girl from a small town who wants- NEEDS- to discover her true self, to come into her own rather than fall into a pre-cut mold of who others think she should be.

This is a novel that is so poetic that it practically reads like a song. The metaphors and descriptions that Elliott uses are a treat and the storyline is both age-old and unique at the same time. I love this book. I love the writing in this book. I highly recommend it to anyone- young and old alike. Seriously- go read it. You'll be happy you did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winnemucca, a small-town fairy tale.