Erica's Reviews > Radiance

Radiance by Alyson Noel

I started out by liking the idea behind the book but not the characters. Life after death is always fascinating to me, though this version is rather depressing to my sensibilities because I don't like the idea of having to continue the life I left, just on a different plane with different skills and the ability to do all the things I never had a chance to do while alive. When I die, I want rest, not action. But that's just my hope. I still enjoyed the story's take on life after death.
I didn't enjoy Riley, though. I understand she's bitter about being dead, and all, but wow, what a little snot. She's mean, she's a liar, she's a hypocrite, and she's got this crazy sense of entitlement. That may or may not be typical to the standard twelve-year-old, but it was irritating nonetheless.
I was glad to see Riley grow. I was worried she wouldn't. I was glad to see her mentor grow, as well; I figured him to be a stock character. I was glad that the disbeliefs I felt were addressed later. All in all, I am glad I stuck with it and finished the book. It grew on me and I wound up enjoying it more than I'd expected.
I liked the reader, too. I felt she did a good job conveying Riley's brattiness, sense of self-importance, and tweenyness as well as her moments of growth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radiance.