Chelsea's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

Jul 09, 2014

bookshelves: books-that-i-own
Read in June, 2014

When I read first read The Prince of Thorns I came away from it feeling as it that book had subtly changed my life. It was an experience I think, not dissimilar to the one Jorg described in The King of Thorns. Having climbed to the top of that mountain and seeing the world from such a different perspective everything afterward was just a little bit changed from what it had been before because he had changed too. That is what the Prince of Thorns did for me, I had thought it to be one of the best books I have read, but as amazing as it was this second book of the The Broken Empire was so much better than the first. I didn't think it possibly could be, the first book had given me high expectations but The king of Thorns did not disappoint. One thing I was particularly pleased with was Jorg's character development. He was more mature and after the events of the first book maybe even a little bit a better person as regards to other people, but not too much. He still does the same cruel things, though he does at least give them more consideration before hand, and sometimes he even does things that come across as compassionate, even if those are not Jorg's motives or justifications. I love the skipping back and forth of the time line throughout the book, When it is done well this non-linear approach adds so much to the story and Mark Lawrence pulled it off very well.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

05/11/2014 marked as: currently-reading