Angela Knipe's Reviews > No More Dying Then

No More Dying Then by Ruth Rendell

Jul 29, 08

Recommended for: anyone
Read in June, 2008

Ruth Rendell is one of the masters of mystery and thriller writing in my opinion. She writes poetically too so I thoroughly enjoy her books. They are also very timeless, I find. If it wasn't for the mention of the birthdays of characters I would not have noticed that it was a book published in 1971. I would love to write like Rendell, her description of the simplest of things add vibrance to the story with elegant language and round out the whole experience of the tragic circumstances in the thrillerby adding a touch of graceful and haunting beauty. Here are some examples of what I mean:

" frost had not yet bitten into blackness the crysanthemums and michaelmas daisies"

"it was a peculiarly graceful but unstudied movement"

"the trees were taller, nature more rampant and more arrogant in her conquest, and yet it seemed to him that the ruin was personal, symbolic of his own."

This one is an Inspector Wexford novel (the 6th, I think) but it stands perfectly fine by itself. It is a book I recommend and if you haven't read Rendell then you aren't yet a true mystery lover (challenge for you). I am searching out the first Barbara Vine (a pseudonym of Ruth Rendell) to see how they differ. I am sure that her talent could not be masked so I am looking forward to it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No More Dying Then.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert Thanks for an excellent review of an excellent book. This is one of the better entries in the Wexford series but I do recommend reading them in order, approximately.

The Barbara Vine books are very different from the Wexford series, but are much like other recent books that she has published as Ruth Rendell. If fact, if they aren't Wexford, I have trouble remembering under which name she wrote a particular book.