Michelle's Reviews > The Bronze and the Brimstone

The Bronze and the Brimstone by Lory S. Kaufman

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: own, review-on-blog
Read in February, 2012

I really like this series. This book picks up right after the first one left off and it doesn't do too much re-telling. I really liked that. I sometimes get annoyed when series give way too much back story in each of the books. It is a series, people are supposed to read them in order, we don't need to be told again what happened in the last book. The Bronze and the Brimstone did a really good job of just briefly re-introducing the characters and then jumping right back into the story.

I really like all the characters in the book, and I especially liked how they seemed to get more comfortable with their situation. I thought they matured a lot in the book. And I really like Hansum and Guilietta. I think they are adorable. I liked that Shamira also had a bigger role in this book, I felt like she kind of got lost amongst the shuffle in the first story and here she got her own part.

The attention to detail in this trilogy is astounding! I love reading about history this way, because it really does come alive. Lory does such an amazing job of describing Verona. I think this will be such an excellent way for kids and teens to learn about history in a fun and interesting way. I think this series is good for younger teens, although anyone can enjoy it.

I will admit that I thought it was a little slow at parts. Maybe that was just because I found it to be a little repetitive after reading the first book, or maybe because I have been suffering from reading ADD this past week. Even though I caught myself skimming over a few pages, I still really enjoyed the story and cannot wait to find out what is going to happen in the final installment.

Be sure to check out my review of the first book, The Lens and the Looker HERE

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze and the Brimstone.