Eli Goldwag's Reviews > Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade

Which Lie Did I Tell? by William Goldman

M_50x66
Feb 06, 12

I really liked this book. Being interested in screenwriting and movies in general, I thought Which Lie Did I Tell? offered a very personalized view into the movie industry. William Goldman's perspective of screenwriting and film making gives a more real picture of the process of writing, casting, filming, and all other aspects that make up a movie production. William Goldman is the writer of such movies as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Princess Bride, and The Year of the Comet. This book is a collection of memories, stories, and the analysis of his own movies and movies that display certain aspects of screenwriting. I enjoyed when he broke down and analyzed individual scenes from different movies. Whether he was involved in the movie or not, the scenes that he used showcase lessons of screenwriting. It surprised me how much the screenwriter is involved in the entire process of directing, producing, and casting. At the end, Goldman includes a screenplay that he wrote and sent to several producers to get their criticism. This was the one part of the book that I really disliked. I found it boring and kind of cliche at times. I really enjoyed this book, and I learned a lot about the film industry. I would recommend it to people who are interested in what goes on behind the scenes of a movie, not just what happens in the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Which Lie Did I Tell?.